"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body"
~ Richard Steele ~

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ISTE Coming Up

Has been an exciting summer so far and school only ended a week ago. Summer school started this week and classes have gotten off to a wonderful start. It takes a few days to get into a schedule but today students were introduced to Kidsblog. This collaborative tool offered students an opportunity to reflect on what they have read independently as well as demonstrate their understanding of reading strategies that have been modeled in class. Achieve 3000 is also a new software program that is being piloted in reading class to strengthen non-fiction reading. Looks like it will be an effective means to monitor growth.


A new "Flipped Lesson" video was uploaded today to the Flipped Learning site. This lesson models using "visualization" to determine importance in a non-fiction article. The image is linked below.


Another exciting event coming up this week is ISTE. I have never been to this event  before and cannot even imagine what I will experience. I am anxious to see others that I have either gotten to know through blogs or twitter. I received an e-mail from the Flat Classroom innovators, Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsey yesterday. They wanted Flat Classroom Certified teachers to help with the poster session they are doing. I am honored to be a part of this experience. My flat classroom project was on a small scale but hopefully I can inspire others to start their own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment